It seems like a huge task, doesn’t it?
Cleaning all those makeup brushes.
It’s something you could do next week, right?
It’s something most brush users should be doing, and more frequently. Sure, they don’t seem dirty, but those brushes you haven’t washed in weeks or worse, since you bought them a year ago could be contributing to bacteria build-up, or fueling breakouts and other skin related issues and it’s so easy to fix! What can do you do about it? – It’s simple, clean your brushes!
Today I’m going to take you through a really simple and not to mention quick method that will allow you to do this at home without any expensive brush cleaning products!
What you will need:
- Your makeup brushes
- A sink and tap
- Paper towel
- A gentle shampoo (baby shampoo works well)
- Rinse all your brushes out under lukewarm running water, this is to remove what residual makeup you can before we begin the next step. Ensure you are careful to avoid the area where the bristles meet the handle, as this can cause damage to the glue and may lead to bristles falling out over time.
- Fill your sink with lukewarm water, and add a little shampoo.
- Dip the bristles in the water and rub them against the palm of your hand to work up a lather. Dip it back into the water to rinse, and repeat as necessary until the lather appears clean on your hand.
- Empty the sink, rinse the brush under lukewarm running water once more and then reshape the bristles, placing the brush aside on some paper towel to dry.
- Repeat for each of your brushes and you’re done, all that’s left is giving them some time to dry… although I have been known to use my hairdryer on a cool setting to speed this up a little!
That’s it, that’s how simple it is to clean your brushes, and a deep clean like this is really necessary once a week. Plus, you’ll find makeup application is much nicer with well maintained and clean brushes! What can you do between washes? I simply wipe mine down with a makeup wipe between uses, brush washing is a Sunday job for me, and it’s something I always make time for.
If you have any questions feel free to chuck those in the comments, I’ll try my best to answer them. As always have a lovely day, and enjoy your clean brushes!